Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Journal of Medicine

There are several prestigious journals of medicine, and they can be really intimidating when you're just starting out in medicine in general. First off, they're extremely boring. Very few pictures, lots of tables and graphs, and really complicated, foreign words like "xanthocromia."
Their importance, though, is in keeping doctors relevant. They publish the latest research, consensus, and expert opinions on treatments, procedures, etc., and in doing so, help medicine to always better itself.
The idea behind this blog is something similar. It's just for me. It's to keep me relevant, especially as I move through the different phases of my education. I want to document my thoughts, feelings, and experiences, because I know one day doing a physical exam will be second nature, interviewing patients will be like breathing, and formulating a differential diagnosis will be automatic. Right now those things are awkward, and my medical experience is relegated to books, flashcards, and a bunch of stomach-churning anxiety.
So I want to make sure that I write down my experiences somewhere, so that down the road, when these years are distant memories, I can remember where I came from, and maybe have something to pass down or share with someone else. 

For now, I have Step 1 (my first board exam) in a little over a month, and I can't think about anything else. The review book everyone uses, called First Aid, is 600 pages long. People say that if you have First Aid virtually memorized, you'll kill the test.
Yea, ok.
*sigh* It's going to be a long 4 weeks...

No comments:

Post a Comment